Entering water inside your car is fatal. Remember, if your car belongs to new generation, the damage will be more catastrophic. Water can kill its electronic systems; corrosion can damage its connectors which will affect its sensors.
If your car gets submerged in water, first you have to assess how deeply the car has affected. There are three water level categories where a car can be submerged:
A. Vehicles Submerged up to bumper level
B. Vehicles Submerged up to dashboard level
C. Vehicles Submerged up to roof level
What to do if Vehicles Submerged up to bumper level?
If the car is submerged up to bumper level, sometimes a mechanic can repair it even at your home without much complication. Even, there is less possibility of major damages; there are some essential aspects to take in:
- Never Start your vehicle
- Advised not to push or move the vehicle.
- Advised to be towed directly from the spot.
What to do if Vehicles Submerged up to dashboard level?
If the car is submerged up to the dashboard level, call up the service advisors for Inspection immediately;
- Do not try to start the vehicle. If you try starting, and if there is water in engine or fuel system, the damage will be high.
- If Possible, try to open the bonnet and unplug the battery wire.
- No Need of Cleaning up the vehicle before service inspection.
What to do if Vehicles Submerged up to roof level?
If the car is submerged up to roof level, call up the service advisors for Inspection immediately;
- Do not try to start the vehicle.
- No Need of Cleaning up the vehicle before service inspection
In short, follow the simple steps if you find your car got submerged in water:
- Don’t try to start the vehicle
- Try to disconnect the battery by the opening bonnet
- Call service centre for further assistance
- Inform the insurance company
Let’s check how to register a car insurance claim?
- Insurance claim should be registered within 7 days, along with photographs of the car from all sides
- The claim will be initiated by the service centre
- Document required – Copy of RC Book/Insurance/License
- Pollution certificate will be mandatory in future
Once your car is towed to the service station, a bunch of checking procedures is to be done. The fuel systems, brakes, hydraulic systems lubrication etc are to be drained and dried before refilling. There are chances for rust in cylinders so that its motor also has to be drained and checked. Air intakes and internal parts should be checked for dirt. All the fluids might have been contaminated with water and dirt, so it also needed to be drained and dried.
You need to check the battery whether the acid should be replaced and has it lost electrolyte or not. Also, check the alternator, it might not have been much affected though. Filters are also to be replaced. Greasing on Door, hood hinges and most of the other parts are necessary.
Guys, the interior!! It must be a mess by the time! It’s another hectic job! Try to dry the interior parts; seats, mats etc., but unfortunately, it is very difficult to dry well, also the smell and patches may remain for a long time.
If your car is fully submerged in water, it’s better to look for another new car instead of spending a lot of money and putting a lot of efforts to revamp the car.